Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Sunday, April 04, 2010

Woodworking shows that I'm older

Today is Easter Sunday, and after a late-afternoon family get-together as my wife's sister's place, the boys and I went home -- them, to play in the back yard, and I, to do some minor woodworking while supervising.

As noted in an earlier post, I've been using a modified sawhorse in a workbench, and keep my tools either inside the house or out in the shed. Usually, this means that although I have to hunch over to saw, drill, and etc., at least I have to stand up and walk a little between tasks.

Today, however, I spent the whole time chopping a pair of mortises by hand. I didn't drill out any of the waste material, like a lot of folks do -- so it was slower, but more interesting.

However, by the time we needed to go inside: whoops! Spending all that time hunched over made the lower right of my back seize up. I spent the rest of the night hobbling around, trying not to screw up my back further by doing anything foolish.

I don't think this would've happened to me in my 20s. But maybe. :)

Shows the importance of a workbench at an appropriate height...


--GG

3 Comments:

At April 06, 2010 2:06 AM, Anonymous Skip said...

"Shows the importance of a workbench at an appropriate height..."

Shows the importance of good strong abdominal muscles.

 
At April 06, 2010 11:31 AM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

Skip,


Workbench at the right height, or strong abdominals -- at the moment, I'm apparently lacking both. :)

 
At April 07, 2010 1:26 AM, Blogger (not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

Yeah... and it's easier to raise the workbench.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home