Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Returning to Aikido

My first martial art was Aikido: it's a reasonably peaceful martial art, where you throw people, or put them into wrist-locks/arm-locks -- as opposed to kicking them or punching them. Pretty good example here, and here, and here.

I took it for a year at my second round of college. But I stopped going once I got busy with coursework (my final semester). And instead of going back to it, I didn't take any martial arts (busy with working), and then drifted into karate for a semester, then Shaolin five animals kung fu, and then some other stuff.

However, while horsing around with The Girl in the doctor's waiting room (just needed a referral from the doctor), I realized that there were several throws that I realized I **used** to know, but now didn't know how the heck I did them -- if that makes any sense. That is: I kinda remembered how the throws end -- but not how to set them up. Which really isn't any use at all, is it? :)

So, I'm toying with the idea of getting back into Aikido -- at least, once the kids are old enough that it doesn't take both parents to round everyone up for bed. A branch of the university I work at (maybe 20 minutes from our house) offers it. I'll have to observe one of their classes, to see if they're good.


--GG

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home