Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Bargains don't last forever

Thursday morning I dropped The Girl off at gradeschool, then drove around with the boys to three local pawn shops. I try to make the rounds every month or two, just on the bizarrely slim chance that the guitar or electric bass that I lost in the burglary (2004?) somehow shows up.

At one of the pawn shops there was a white Stratocaster copy, with two missing tuning pegs and no doubt some other things wrong with it (bad electronics?). But, they only wanted AU$25 for it (about US$20). I went away to think about it: maybe use it for spare parts; maybe fix it up so it's usable. Either way, a really good price.

So, Friday morning I went back. And of course, it was gone. Gah!!! **That** was a wasted trip! (But, I saved myself twenty-five bucks...)


I think this is the third time that I've been caught like this -- all at pawn shops. The lesson: if it's a really, really good price, it probably won't be there tomorrow. Because I'm not the only music stuff bargain hunter around here.


--GG

2 Comments:

At March 15, 2010 4:16 AM, Blogger (not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

I had a boss like that. He was always picking stuff up at pawn shops and second hand stores.
His wife had one rule: if he bought something, he had to sell something else.

 
At March 15, 2010 10:49 PM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

Heh! On the suface, that sounds fair. Upon deeper reflection, that kinda defeats the purpose!

For my stuff, my current rule is that I have to have a **specific** use for it: I can't pick it up ''just in case'' or ''because it's cheap''. :)


--GG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home