Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Sunday, January 10, 2010

A pleasant day

Had a pleasant day today. Sunday. Some Sundays we go to church, and some we don't.

As usual, the kids woke us up around 6:30am-7am. On the nights I stay up late doing research work, I go to bed any time from midnight to 2am. Last night it was around 1:30am. Since I'd stayed up late, I tried sleeping in, and almost made it to 8am.

Fed the boys breakfast, and hung around with the family. About 10:30am, The Lady took The Girl to the library for the 11am storytime 'n' crafts thing, while I put the boys down for a nap.

Fell asleep during their naptime, so woke up maybe 1:30pm. Fed the boys lunch, then co-watched the kids for a bit.

Around 3pm, went over to my wife's uncle's place to videotape him explaining his shop layout to me (he restores old cars, so he has a bunch of metalworking gear; a few days ago, I suddenly felt the need to videotape him explaining his shop and its workflow). Only meant to stay for an hour, but ended up staying until around 5:30.

Spent a little over a half hour in the shed (set the timer for 30 minutes, and it rang), while The Lady wrangled the kids and made dinner. I applied boiled linseed oil to the other half of a cubbyhole/cabinet on wheels -- about 3 ft x 3ft -- that my wife's sister was getting rid of. It'll be part of my woodshop: I'll put tools or spare parts or some-such in it.

Also sawed off more of the ragged end of a hollow log, which will eventually be a drum (a rustic-looking conga drum).

Had dinner (fish and chips, plus salad), and co-watched the kids.

Around 7:30pm, gave the boys their bath. PJ'd them up, and put them to bed.

Around 8pm, read The Girl some bedtime stories. Then I sorted through half of a box of misc. paper from Seattle: old reading packets from courses I taught in Seattle (circa 2002), which I kept; and printouts of preliminary results from a research project for the City of Seattle, which I recycled.

Various e-mail checking for the last hour or so.

Will do some research assistant work (doing clever things with statistical software to try to salvage information from some **very** messy administrative data) for the next hour or so (i.e. 10:30pm onwards).

To bed around midnight.

A pretty typical day. :) A pleasant life.


--GG

4 Comments:

At January 12, 2010 2:17 AM, Blogger slag said...

Are you going to post the video of uncle's shop? Sounds intriguing.

 
At January 12, 2010 4:36 PM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

Slag,


Hey, thanks!

Maybe someday. But it needs some tidying up (i.e. editing). He wasn't very... linear... in his shop-showing. :)

Plus, it's about 45 mins of footage: a bit much.


Maybe someday.


--GG

 
At January 13, 2010 4:32 PM, Blogger slag said...

Sounds like video editing may be your next hobby.

 
At January 14, 2010 3:13 PM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

Eee-ventually! :)

I gots me a few music video ideas (mostly sketched out, with shot lists [the storyboard actually just highly-detailed written descriptions]), plus a film short (martial arts-slash-zombie).

Realistically, 3-5 years.

(You're welcome to be in either one -- or be behind the scenes...)


--GG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home