Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Not stagnating in music

One of my often-shared, keen, insightful observations is that most people's musical tastes stagnate at their high school or college years: for my peers, that would be around 1987-1991 -- late ''new wave'' and early grunge (e.g. Nirvana's Nevermind came out in 1991).

I'm pleased to say that I haven't fallen into that trap: a few times a week I turn on the local, late-night, music video program and watch a few as I'm brushing my teeth. Occasionally (very occasionally, I'm afraid), something comes up that deserves further investigation.

To that end, here's two albums that I recommend hightly -- although YMMV, based on your personal taste.

One -- from a few years ago, actually -- is Jem's album Finally Woken (esp. the tracks ''They'', and ''Just a Ride'') (the links go to Grooveshark, which is a free streaming service: if you like the songs, you click on links to purchase the mp3 file).

The other, which is reasonably recent, is Lisa Mitchell (an Australian -- yay!) Wonder -- esp. the songs ''Coin Laundry'' and "Neopolitan Dreams".


Good stuff. IMO.


--GG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home