Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Saturday, January 09, 2010

Workshop update

I'm trying to maintain balance in my life between doing stuff around the house (including moving boxes out to the shed, and setting up my workhop in the shed) and working from home for $$$. Today I allowed myself an hour to set up the workshop.

Among other things, I slid the lumber rack from about the halfway point in the shed to inside the one-third mark -- which is what I've allocated for my workshop. The back of the lumber rack -- which is 1.0 meter thick (3.3 feet) is where the eventual divider wall will be, which will keep the sawdust in the woodshop zone, and out of the music/gym zone.

Since the shed is about 9m long (about 29 feet) by 6m (about 19.5 feet) wide, and the workshop is one-third the length -- that's 3m by 6m (about 10 feet by 20 feet).

**But** -- the lumber rack is 1.0m deep. And Great-Grandpa's workbench -- which my wife's uncle will give me when I have room -- is 9.4 ft. long x 23.6'' deep x 35'' high (metric: 2.85m long x 0.6m deep x 0.9m high).


So, that's 1.4m clearance (4.5 feet) between the edge of the workbench (it'll go up against the wall) and the lumber rack. Not a **lot** of room -- but I put some lumber where the edge of the workbench will be, and it's not bad. Cosy -- but I don't mind that. One could even say it's ergonomic: everything will be at my fingertips!

I won't be building a lot of desks or wardrobes/armoires. And anything large that I **do** build, I can assemble in the "music room" next door (i.e. on the other side of the dividing wall) -- a minor nuisance, but work-able.

I may change my mind, and decide to push the lumber rack back, by a little bit. But it's good to try things on for size **before** installing the wall. :)


As far as room for tools: I primarily use hand tools, or handheld electric tools (router; power drill). Eventually I'd like to get a small drill press and a medium-sized lathe for the shop -- but those should fit within my alloted zone. Nothing with a large footprint: power planers, jointers, or table saws.

And, if I'm wrong, I'll just build a dedicated outbuilding or two.


--GG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home