Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Flattery from former students

One of the things I like about teaching is running into former students -- both on campus, and around town. It makes me feel like I'm part of a larger community: hey! I know someone!


This last Friday, I ran into a pair of my better students from last year -- had them in one course for first semester, and another course in second semester -- just as I was leaving Target at the local shopping mall. Apparently, they live on this side of town (hence, using the same mall).

They expressed disappointment that I wasn't teaching this year, and they asked me if I was allowed to supervise their Honor's Thesis (basically, a senior project). I had to decline, as I'd been on a one-year contract -- so even though I'm still working on campus, I'm no longer affiliated with that department. Still, it was nice of them to ask: I'm no longer their instructor, so there's no real advantage to suck up to me.


Then, today, I ran across two of my not-as-high-performing students from last year (from memory, they both failed the course). But, they still expressed disappointment that I wasn't the one teaching that course this time around: the new instructor is much stricter, and they're getting **worse** marks (oops!) on their assignments.


Nice to be wanted. One of these days, I'll have an actual, permanent teaching position. It'll be nice to have students for multiple years, as they progress through their degree...


--GG

2 Comments:

At July 02, 2009 6:08 AM, Blogger slag said...

But, they still expressed disappointment that I wasn't the one teaching that course this time around: the new instructor is much stricter, and they're getting **worse** marks (oops!) on their assignments.
Does this make you a sucker?

 
At July 02, 2009 12:10 PM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

Sucker: Maybe. Or maybe I just explain things better in class. :)

--GG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home