Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

I'm not babysitting

As a dad, here's one of my pet peeves:

I have one of the kids with me, and I'm running errands. And one of the (well-meaning; usually a middle-aged female) sales clerks says, "O-ho! Babysitting today, eh?"

Actually, not. By definition, if it's **my** kid, then I'm not ''babysitting''. Babysitting is when you take care of someone else's kid for the day (or the evening). A man who takes care of his own kid is just ''being a dad''.


Again: I know they're well-intentioned. But they would never think to call a mom out with her kids "babysitting".


--GG

3 Comments:

At January 26, 2008 4:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's because child-care is still considered women's work that when dad is covering for mom, he's babysitting.

As a full-time stay-at-home dad for 1 1/2 years, it was certainly the opposite of affirming to hear the babysitting comment. "Um, no, this is actually what I do full time."

 
At January 28, 2008 12:35 AM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

Good one, B! :)


--GG

 
At January 28, 2008 10:29 AM, Blogger slag said...

Wow! People actually say that? That's actually pretty appalling.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home