Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Monday, March 27, 2006

Guileless kids

One of the great things about really little kids -- say two years old and younger -- is that they're completely without guile. They're too young to be sly, to be strategic, to be diplomatic in their reactions. If they think you're funny, they'll laugh; if you're not funny, they won't. If you scare them, they'll try to hide. And etcetera.

This lack of artifice makes it especially heartbreaking when your kid runs to her mother to give her a big hug when you both get home from work, then ignores you to go play with her toys. Even when you ask for a hug, you get nothin'.

Now, I know I rank higher than complete strangers; and I know I have my uses (I suspect I'm ''the 'fun' parent''). And when we're walking around, and I'm holding her hand, and something scares her, she'll ask me to pick her up.

But it's still sad being second-best. :(


The Lady says not to take it personally: it all comes down to who she spends the most time with. And there's some truth to that.

But I'd be willing to quit my job and stay home with The Kid, if it meant that I was her Number One.


--GG



Addendum, written next morning (3/28/06): Came home from work last night and she saw me through the window, and exclaimed ''Dah!!! Dah!!!''

And got her out of her crib this morning, and buried her head in my shoulder while contentedly sucking her fingers.

So, I guess being #2 is still pretty great. ;)

--GG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home