Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

''Elive'' Live CD: update

This is an addendum to my post from a few days ago, regarding trying out some Linux Live CDs. (Non-computer geeks should still skip to the end of this entry...)


As I think I mentioned, I e-mailed the PuppyLinux folks to report the bug I experience. No e-mails back.

Within a few minutes of this, I also e-mailed the Elive folks; within a few hours, got an e-mail back with a few suggestions. So, bonus points to them!!! :)

Tried the Elive Live CD again a day or so ago. This time, it **appeared** to be installing fine. But then I ended up at a command-line prompt, with three hints above it, saying I could type ''reboot'' to reboot; something else to switch to version 17 of the desktop instead of version 16; and something else to change the settings on my monitor.

Not knowing what else to do -- and thinking maybe it needed to be rebooted for one final layer of installation -- I typed ''reboot.''

It went through the whole startup/install thing again, and landed me back at the same prompt. Hm! I was expecting some sort of purty desktop with icons to click.

I've re-emailed the Elive guy; we'll see what he says.


Since I'm doing these Live CDs anyhow -- and since I'll be taking home a big, hulking PC that I'll need to install an OS on -- I've sent away for an Ubuntu CD-ROM. For those not in the know, ''Ubuntu Linux'' is -- supposedly -- a newbie-friendly operating system that should be pretty intuitive to use for anyone that is used to modern Windows or Mac computers.

And, because it's free, you're not lining the pockets of any multinational, quasi-monopolistic corporations. Instead, it's funded by some South African dot-com millionaire that's ''giving back'' to the world of computing. In fact, you can even request an Ubuntu CD-ROM (as I've just done), and they'll mail it to you for free!

Or, if you're a little more computer-savvy, and know how to burn an *.iso image, you can download it from here.


--GG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home