Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Snakes alive!

Just as I was wrapping up the preceding blog entry, I heard the clatter-clatter of empty cans falling off the top of a pile of boxes, out on the veranda. Went over to pick up the cans. Picked them up, while trying to figure out what had knocked them over: Had one of the boxes collapsed a bit, shifting the stack? Gust of wind?

Bent over to pick up another can -- and saw a snake right next to it, in the striking position. I exclaimed ‘’Yow!!!’’, or something equally witty, and jumped backwards. Dropped the can, too. Probably a carpet snake -- non-poisonous -- but I don’t yet know my Aussie snakes. About a metre long.

Make a quick noose-on-stick to catch it, since I didn’t want it hanging around the veranda (right next to the living room). Also put on some boots, jeans, and long-sleeved floppy shirt -- hot day, and figured my swim trunks and bare feet, legs, and torso might be a bad idea, even for a non-poisonous snake. Brought the empty recycling plastic bin (tall and narrow, on wheels) around to the front door, to drop it in to, to bring it around to Uncle Jack’s for identification.

But, by the time I did all this, it had disappeared. Which I’m not sure is a good thing -- or a bad thing.


Tall Guy was poking around in the middle block -- otherwise, I would’ve had him keep on eye on it. Bummer: wanted to shoot some digital pics.


But I tell ya -- a snake on the veranda is enough to put one’s mopey-ness into perspective. Probably a primal, brain-stem thing. ;)


--GG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home