Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Sunday, October 09, 2022

Battle of the Bands brings me back

 Went to a high school-aged "Battle of the Bands" last night with my teenaged daughter (who was going with a few of her friends).  She had never been to a concert or rock music event before -- just school orchestra types of events.

It totally brought me back to my youth -- being in my 20s in Seattle, going out to see bands every two weeks or so with Guitar Cousin.  This was a bit more "sanitized", as it took place in a school multipurpose centre, so there wasn't any spilled beer on the floor, or secondhand smoke in the air.

But:  it still had that quality.  Most of the bands were good performers; some were really good performers, with strong "audience engagement".  Nearly all were cover songs -- but, that's okay.  The crowd was pogoing and singing along to the good songs -- and I was reminded at the sort of "communal spirit" you get at a concert, which is not at all replicated by sitting in your room and listening to the album.  ;)

I also noticed that it's hard to find good singers:  out of about 12 bands, one singer was "pretty good" and the other two were definitely good.  Among the songs were a No Doubt cover, a Pearl Jam cover, and a Queen cover -- and I realized just how powerful the original singers (Gwen Stefani; Eddie Vedder, Freddie Mercury) were.

Anyhow:  had a great time -- was bopping along to the music, "Woo!"-ing, clapping - all without conscious volition:  I was just "in it".  :) 

Would do it again.


And:  as often happened, was inspired to go home and play guitar... or bass... or drums.  But, I didn't (by the time I got home, it was late).

 

--GG

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home