Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Friday, December 21, 2018

Open letter to Paul McCartney and Ringo and all songwriters

I live in Australia -- so December is actually during the summer -- so people keep their windows open (unless they have the windows open).

As I waited for the train this morning, to commute to work, I heard a pair of young children singing -- loudly! -- "Yellow Submarine".  I did a quick web search:  it was released in 1966 -- a few years before **I** was born, and at least a full generation -- probably 46 years before those kids were born.

And yet:  they knew the song.


That must to amazingly gratifying as a songwriter or recording artist (Paul, Ringo) -- to have little children singing, unprompted, a song you recorded nearly half a century ago.

Your song is embedded in popular culture.

Can't get much better than that.


--GG

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home