Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Movie review of An Affair to Remember

Around mid-June, 2015, I watched An Affair to Remember. (It's now Sept. 16th as I write this, so I'm not quite sure.)


I've meant to see it since it was mentioned in Sleepless in Seattle. Picked it up inexpensively maybe half a year ago, but never got around to watching it. Finally watched it in mid-June (I think) -- and watched the final scene nearly every night for the following two or three weeks.


For those of you who don't know: a charming slacker (Cary Grant) is engaged to a rich lady, but while on a cruise ship he meets a fiesty lady (Deborah Kerr) who is engaged to a rich guy. They accidentally fall in love, but when the ship docks they go off with their respective fiances.

And then sad things happen. But, there's a happy ending (mostly).


A lot of good dialogue, and some pretty good scenes.

Rated ā€œGā€ ā€“ although anyone younger than about 11yo might find it boring:  there's a lot of talk, and some implications about the difficult realities of being a grown-up and being in a relationship -- and then falling for someone else.


I'm glad I watched it. And the fact that I watched it over and over again indicates that I do indeed like it.


--GG

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home