Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Generosity

Today I ran some errands during my lunch break, and on a whim I picked up some carrot cake and some pastries.  When I got back to the office, I sent around an e-mail saying I'd put some goodies out on the table near the 'fridges.

I checked the table about two hours later:  it was like a plague of locusts had been through.  I'm guesstimating that 20-30 people had some of the food -- which is fine.  But:  only one person thought to e-mail me to say "thanks".


The lesson learned:  

Don't do nice things because you're expecting gratitude: you'll be disappointed. Do nice things because it's good to do nice things. 


Which I'm fine with.  But it's an important distinction.


--GG

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home