Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Kid tools

Today is Saturday.  And last Saturday, the kids and I stopped by the local pawn shop (again), to look for tools.

The kids choose their own tools -- spend their own allowance on their tools -- and the tools get added to their own tool box (actually, a bucket). 


My haul was modest (see left).  One trick I learned from my paternal grandfather was to leave an often-used tool at the location that you use it.  For example, he had a specific size screwdriver hanging next to the furnace door, to facilitate changing the filter.  In my case, I was looking to pick up a crescent wrench of the correct size for my bench grinder -- for around 50c.  I'd duct-tape it to the power cord, so I'd always have it handy.  I also wanted an inexpensive adjustable wrench for my workshop, since I keep my ''good'' set of wrenches elsewhere.  And, as you can see, I found 'em!  I think they were 50c each.

My youngest son picked up a broken section (!!!) of a 45-45-90 drafting triangle, and an old-timey crescent wrench.  My daughter picked up a masonry drill bit, and a hooked pulling device -- which she'd strike with the masonry bit to get a ''ting'' sound.

As usual, my elder son (twin to to my younger son) had the biggest stash -- but also spent the most money.  He got an old-timey double-ended crescent wrench, a newer (inexpensive) double-ended crescent wrench, a bent screwdriver, another old-timey crescent wrench, a pair of pruners (potentially dangerous -- but I don't allow them free access to their tools), and a disposable box cutter (again, he can use it when he's older).


Here's some snapshots from the previous trip -- possibly in May -- that I just haven't posted.  Here's The Girl's stash:  a Phillips screwdriver and a C-clamp with the pad missing.



Here's B1's haul:  four sockets (he doesn't yet have a socket wrench), a combination wrench, two screwdrivers, and a chisel.



And, here's B2's stash -- again, the largest of the three.  A combination wrench, five screwdrivers, a caulking gun, and a pair of needlenose pliers.



Trying to teach them the importance of having an adequate stash of tools.

When they get older, we'll start being more methodical about it.  :)


--GG

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At October 22, 2012 6:28 AM, Anonymous Dave'ola said...

Glad to see you're posting again! :-)

 
At October 22, 2012 4:13 PM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

Thanks! As you can see, I'm doing it retrospectively (I've been keeping notes).

Have been busy with real-world stuff; been neglecting the virtual world... ;)


--GG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home