Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Sunday, December 11, 2011

My hair again

So, last Sunday night I was doing the ol' ''home haircut'' routine again.


Pretty straightforward:

  • Pull up a stool in the bathroom
  • Put the spacers on the electric clippers
  • Have my 7 year-old daughter shave everything to a uniform length
  • Have someone else shave the back of my neck (with the spacers removed)
  • And, there ya go.


Above is what I ''usually'' look like, as of late.


And below is what my new haircut **would** have looked like -- if everything had gone according to plan.



But, things don't always go according to plan...

As you can see, even with several attempts, the ''straight, horizontal line'' is not being achieved. And now we're getting into ''bowl cut'' territory.


So: it all had to come off! Which is fine -- for a while now, every time I took the clippers to my head I'd wondered what it'd be like to go full gonzo and shave it all off. And now I'd get to find out.

Of course, if I was going totally bald, I'd have to loose the beard and moustache.


And, I took a pit stop along the way.



So, this is what I looked like last Sunday.

A bit like a rock star, actually. I don't think I have the right facial features to be a ''tough guy''. Maybe if I scowled a bit more.


It's been a week, now, and I like it! It's summertime now, and I feel even the slightest breeze on my scalp; nice.

Also, my hair has started to grow out, so instead of being bristly, it's softened -- like patting a labrador.

And every time I shave my face, there's more of a distinction between my clean-shaven face and my vaguely-existing scalp-hair. So it looks more like a ''haircut'', rather than just being bald.


Interesting stuff.


--GG

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At December 12, 2011 1:50 AM, Anonymous Dadbert said...

You had much more hair when you were born.

 
At December 12, 2011 2:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I kind of like the new look. :)
-gc

 
At December 12, 2011 5:02 AM, Anonymous Dave'ola said...

Wow! It's like a different person. Person "A" was the cute and fuzzy type, person "B" was of the merged type, and person "C" was of the, "Don't cross me, I'm either cool or will thump you" look (I'd have to see it with a smile first). I'm impressed either way, though -- not many have the nerve or adventure streak to try it. Having done it before, I can say its very liberating and easy to maintain, but difficult in cold weather. Kudos, though!

 
At December 14, 2011 1:03 PM, Anonymous Giovanni said...

First of all, your storyline cracked me up! Then -- WOW! You look 20 years younger! Must be the absence of grey and stubble?

And to me you look like a "nice guy" in the photo -- unless it's just the blue/green swirly "I like dolphins" t-shirt you're wearing.

Real question though: When the haircut went crazy, you shaved the entire thing, and then your beard, and then your moustache -- by why not your eyebrows? And why not your arm hair? That could feel liberating, too.

 
At December 15, 2011 10:36 PM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

Giovanni,


Thanks for the compliments re: the storyline, and that I look like a nice guy.

Eyebrows: Maybe next time. I sweat like a monkey, though: when I do yardwork I almost always have to wear a sweatband so the sweat doesn't get in my eyes. So I probably need my eyebrows.

I **did** look in the mirror while holding my fingers over my eyebrows: I looked like an alien.

(Hm! I'll manipulate the photo and do a new blog posting...)


--GG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home