Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Err on the side of attending

Both my grandfathers died in the last year or so. Because I live overseas, and was busy at the time -- and had already "said my goodbyes" during my last visit -- I didn't attend either of their funerals. Even though my folks said they'd pay my airfare. In hindsight, I probably should have.

When I was about twenty, my sister was in a high school play. She said it wasn't very well-written, and I didn't have to come. I lived about a half hour away, so I didn't. But I should have.

In contrast, I've done an open mic night -- which went mediocre. But at least I did it.

And I tried karaoke. It went **really** poorly -- the version of the song that they had was in a totally different key from the version I'd practiced. It was fairly embarrassing. But -- eh -- at least I did it.


So, what I've learned thus far is that if you're in doubt over whether you should attend some concert, go to some party, or catch some event -- if you're truly in doubt, then you should err on the side of doing it. If you were wrong, and it's boring, you're simply out two or three hours of your life. But if you don't go, and wish you had -- well, there's no repairing **that**.


Note: This heuristic probably doesn't apply to doing dangerous stuff.


--GG

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At November 07, 2011 9:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely. I've been feeling this a lot lately. Which reminds me of the quote "For of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been!'" (John Greenleaf Whittier)

-GC

 
At November 07, 2011 5:47 PM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

Ooh! Good quote, GC! :)

Reminds me of a song from the movie "Still Crazy" (a 1970s band that self-destructed tries to re-form in the early 2000s). If you haven't seen it before, it'd be fun to watch it with you when next I visit.


--GG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home