Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Thursday, April 07, 2011

Nice synth

I haven't done very well on my "music a day" progamme as of late -- whereby during my lunch break I would go for a short walk to the nearby park, play the tin whistle or harmonica for a bit, and then walk back. Was rainy for a few days, or I've not brought my lunch and had to stand in line to buy something, or my foot has been sore.

Today, however, t0day I walked over to the only music instrument store that's downtown (not including a teeny little "world music percussion" shop). Wandered around the electric guitars, amps, drum kits, pianos, recording gear, and synths -- just absorbing the latent music.

Had a play-about with one of the teeny little synths: a Korg Microkorg XL. Has two eight-position selector knobs with which to choose the sound, plus a "Bank A/Bank B" toggle switch -- so 8x8x2 = 128 sounds. Good stuff! Also a pitch mod wheel.

Even though the exchange rate is better than a one-to-one ratio between the U.S. and Aussie dollar (i.e., tilted in AU's favor), that synth costs about AU$900, versus US$500 through an American mail-order place.

It also has a vocoder. The mic wasn't attached, though, so I didn't use the vocoder aspect.

Totally going on my "To Buy (Eventually)" list!!!


--GG

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home