Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Made a wooden thing for work

I have lots of family photos, amusing photocopies, and the like, hanging up at my cubicle at work. However, there's no good place for a calendar: I don't want to pound a nail (or hook) into the back of the bookcase on the other side of the divider, the sage green wall to the right is too hard for thumbtacks; and everywhere else is too short for the calendar I want to use (a calendar of Washington State scenery, from my parents).


SOLUTION:

Make a J-hook device out of wood. Put a nail in the non-hook end.



Hook it over the top of the bookcase.



Hang my calendar from that.



Yep. That works. :)


(Footnote: That little thing took me three months, I believe, to complete. Worked on in little snatches, while supervising the kids outdoors. The wood was salvaged from a construction dumpster: it may have been a slat that nailed a plastic tarp to a pallet. Amazing how much it cleaned up, once I handplaned it.)


--GG

2 Comments:

At April 19, 2010 10:29 AM, Anonymous Kansaslutheran said...

Isn't it amazing how satisfying those little projects are? I'm always very please with myself when I come up with something like that. For instance, I built a simple frame to hold my sofa in place on the hard-wood floor. Prevents the whole thing from sliding out from under when you sit down. Simple but nifty.

 
At April 19, 2010 10:39 AM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

Sofa frame: Clever! But plz elaborate: is it screwed down to the floor?


--GG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home