Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Monday, December 07, 2009

Update on geek status

Some further self-reflection on my computer geek -ness:


Was reading my Linux magazine the other night (OK -- most folks don't subscribe to computer magazines -- and esp. not Linux ones...), and in the Letters to the Editor page a guy was talking about getting his Linux certification, since he already had his Microsoft cert. And I thought: bleh.

And, I also don't want to have to mess with various configuration files to get stuff to work: I just plain, want it, to work.

So: not gonna be Troubleshootin' Computer King.


I **am** open to looking thru the various drop-down menus and customizing things -- to a certain extent. I like knowing -- more or less -- how computer stuff works (both concepts and terminology). But just not to the level of having to fix it when it goes awry.

And I **do** like old-timey (i.e. 1970s-1980s) laptop and desktop computers. Kinda like I think 1950s and 1960s cars look neat. So I'll probably keep around a computer or two from each era (translation: not getting rid of any of our old computers!), just to show the kids.

And I still skim the local classifieds for Apple II and Commodore 64s/Amiga computers.


If I wasn't into playing music, songwriting, recording my music, building useful things out of wood, martial arts, and shooting a few film shorts and music videos -- then, yeah, I'd be getting into computers. But given all those other hobbies and interests, I'm just an ''appreciative user'', I'm afraid.


There ya go.


--GG

1 Comments:

At December 08, 2009 4:16 PM, Blogger slag said...

Good for you for not forcing yourself to fit into the Linux geek category. Just go with what you like. It's good to know where your boundaries are.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home