Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Rare nails

In building a ''temporary'' rack (i.e. 5-10 years later I'll make something bigger and better!) to hold my scrap lumber in my new shed. Using duplex/ scaffolding nails, so that when I finally upgrade, it'll be easier to salvage the lumber.

I'm about 80% of the way through building it -- but I used up the box of duplex nails that I've had since the early '90s. Think I picked it up at a garage sale. I'm about fifteen nails short.

Went to my local ''big box'' hardware store, and browsed the nail aisle, looking for a replacement box. Didn't see any. Asked a sales youngster (early 20s?), who didn't know what I was talking about.

Showed him the box (lucky I brought it!), and showed it to an older guy (but still younger than me). Said they didn't carry such a thing.

So, looks like I'll have to go to some tradesperson ''specialty'' store. A Google search found me a place in Brisbane that caters to construction folks -- but I'm not sure I want to buy a 15kig bucket's worth.


--GG

1 Comments:

At November 25, 2009 10:29 AM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

Addendum: I e-mailed a woodworking list I belong to: the American members say that most Lowes, etc. still carry 'em.

--GG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home