Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Net GeekPoints (tm) = zero

So, I don't work on Mondays. Because of this, my desk is unoccupied on Mondays.

And maybe because I have a lamp on my desk, my co-worker -- who, as I mentioned, is the current Miss Queensland ["Miss Queensland? I never left!!!"] -- had a newsletter photo shoot at my desk, as hers didn't have the "right look" (or so the photographer said). Posed her sitting at my desk, typing away on my computer, looking personal-assistant-y.

So, I come back to work Tuesday, and try to start up my computer -- and it won't boot up! Hit the reset button; nuthin'. Even crawled under the desk and turned off the power at the power source; nothin'. The lights on the front indicate that the hard drive runs, but then nothing -- the screen stays blank. I know there's power going to it, 'cause the "power" light is on. Checked the cable connections; yeah, they're good.

So, I phone the I.T. people, and they send someone up. Know what it is? The power button -- on the underside of the flatscreen monitor -- had been pushed off. Ah.

Apparently, when the monitor is plugged in, the "power" button is always on -- but it's purple when the power's off, blue when it's switched on. Oh-kaaaay. I never turn off the monitor on these (partly 'cause I didn't know there was a power button -- it's on the underside. But my co-worker did.

Sorry: I'm used to CRT monitors, where the power button indicates whether the MONITOR is on -- not whether it's plugged in to the wall.

So, minus two GeekPoints.


But then, last night I dreamed -- for maybe five minutes -- about using a Mac OS X operating system, and comparing it to a Linux desktop. Based on a magazine article I'd read in a Linux magazine before going to bed, about the Mac Mini and the pros and cons of OS X relative to the typical Linux way.

So, plus two Geekpoints.


A net change of zero.


--GG

2 Comments:

At August 11, 2005 7:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You might just find The Geek Code of significant interest, due to both this entry and your sociological background... ;-)

 
At August 12, 2005 5:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

[TrackBack from And So It Begins...] "Which brings me to my ongoing list of simple "must-have's" for a potential partner. My friend Travis once created such a list, something I believe I still have saved along with all my non-electronic paper archives from the past."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home