Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Informal job offer

Hey!!! Got an informal (i.e. verbal) job offer for the on-campus job I interviewed for, yesterday. One of the three lower positions, rather than the higher position -- which I kind of figured. I was told that the hiring committee was very impressed with me, but that someone with slightly more experience applied for the same position. Fair enough.

And, it's for only four days a week (I went back and looked at the job posting, which indeed says "full or part time"). So, 80% of F/T pay. But, this **does** mean I can look after The Bub one day a week, to take some of the load off of The Lady's mom, who currently watches both The Bub and The Bub's cousin. And, "a job" is better than "no job."

They're flexible and won't have me start until I finish my Ph.D. Because I'll have a Ph.D., whereas the position only required a Bachelor's, hopefully I can negotiate starting at the top of the pay scale. The Lady conjectures that this may be, in fact, why they had to drop me back to four days a week: they don't have the $$$ to pay me "Ph.D. person" rates for the full five days/week.


I haven't received the formal offer yet, so I don't have to formally accept yet. I'm still waiting on the government position, downtown. The govt. agency would be a better resume-builder than the on-campus rsch. centre, AND it pays more (both in raw salary and in terms of being F/T, not P/T). The Lady thinks I have a pretty good chance of at least getting short-listed.

Tomorrow I'll have to phone in to govt. agency's HR folks and see what the status is.


--GG

2 Comments:

At May 17, 2005 12:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Travisimo! Keeping fingers crossed about 2nd gig, but glad to hear about the success.

 
At May 26, 2010 9:55 PM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

Ahmed,


Hi! Even blog spammers ("Blammers"?) are welcome to read my blog. I'm glad you found it interesting -- although I'm not sure how it would be HELPFUL... ;)


--GG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home