Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Monday, March 27, 2017

Snake in a bucket

I keep a bucket under the faucet to salvage dripping water, rather than let it go to waste (I use it to water the plants). When I was doing some outdoor tasks after dark last night, I saw a snake head sticking out of the bucket -- so I went to investigate.

Near as I can tell, it was just resting on the bottom of the bucket -- underwater.  And then every few minutes it would stick its snout out of the water, breathe a bit -- and then go back under.  Interesting:  I didn't know that they did that.

I called the kids over to take a look.  One of my sons asked me to dump the footage onto his USB flashdrive, so he could show his class at school -- so I edited some footage together.

Once I did that, I figured I may as well post it to YouTube.



It's a carpet snake.  A constrictor.  Harmless enough.  Probably the diameter of my wrist.


--GG

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At March 28, 2017 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so very cool! I knew there were water snakes, but I had no idea there were bucket snakes! I wonder why he/she thought it was worth the energy to be underwater and have to move every few minutes to breathe?

 
At April 05, 2017 7:20 PM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

Dunno. I'd guess either "keeping cool" or "hiding from harassment".

--GG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home