Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Wednesday, June 03, 2015

All the world has a haiku

One of my mutant abilities is to detect potential song lyrics or poems, and to crank out halfway-decent poems at a moment's notice.


A co-worker sent this notice around: 
 
The toaster in the kitchen has sadly toasted its last piece of toast. I found its cord melted into a distinctly flat shape, which lead me to believe that it may fallen victim to the sandwich press. I had pressed a delicious sandwich of my own seconds before I discovered the damage and the now-flattened cord was still hot at the time. So there is a very slight possibility that it was me who wrecked the toaster. I will go down and see if I can get another one at lunch and we will hopefully be equipped for toasting by 1:15. 

I will also try to reposition things so that stray cords don’t end up in the sandwich press again. Apologies for any inconvenience.


I detected in the above, a haiku:

The toaster in the
kitchen has sadly toasted
its last piece of toast. 


I particularly like that the meaning of "sadly" is ambiguous:  does it mean that it is too bad that this was the last piece of toast?  Or was the toaster aware this this was its final piece of toast -- and was sad about it, as it was toasting?


I e-mailed my haiku to my co-worker, who e-mailed back that he'd had to Google what a "haiku" was.

I replied that maybe it's a Seattle thing -- lots of Japanese-Americans; we did a lot of haikus during poetry units during school.


I also sent him this:

See Peter Smithers
He Googles what “haiku” means: 
Ah! Enlightenment.


--GG

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At June 12, 2015 8:52 AM, Blogger Language Is Love said...

Those who do not know
a Haiku must be shown the
error of their ways.

 
At June 12, 2015 8:52 AM, Blogger Language Is Love said...

Those who do not know
a Haiku must be shown the
error of their ways.

 
At June 12, 2015 8:53 AM, Blogger Language Is Love said...

Those who do not know
a Haiku must then be shown
the error of their ways.

 
At June 15, 2015 9:49 PM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

Nice! (Good screen name, too.) :)


--GG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home