Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Saturday, October 03, 2015

Movie Review - Singing in the Rain

Each weekend we have "Family Movie Night", where we have a roster for whose turn it is to choose the DVD from the fairly large pile of unwatched movies.

Tonight it was my turn, and I chose Singing in the Rain.  I wasn't sure that the kids would sit through it -- especially my youngest boys (B1, B2), who are six.  Particularly the musical numbers.

But, they were actually engaged.  I was impressed.  And I was also impressed with how well the movie has aged:  it didn't seem "dated" at all -- which, of course, is why it's such a "classic".


Just in case you don't know the story:  it's about a movie star (Gene Kelly) around 1927, just as silent movies were transitioning to "talkies".  His recurring co-star/leading lady has a horrible voice, which causes difficulties in re-working a half-finished movie to make it sound-compatible.

There's more, but that's enough -- except that I'd forgotten how fun Donald O'Connor is.  :)


The kids each had a favorite musical number, which they were comparing after the movie ended (B2's was "Make 'Em Laugh", if I recall correctly).

So, yeah -- a success.


I recommend you re-watch it.  A good movie.


--GG



Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home