Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Monday, March 02, 2015

Finally a large spider

When I moved to Australia -- Lo, those many years ago -- it seemed like there were **tons** of fairly large spiders about.

But recently, I haven't been seeing any spiders except for teeny little things, about the size of ladybugs.

But!  This afternoon, B1 (Blondie Boy) asked to show me something in the hall.  "What's that?", he asked, pointing up near the ceiling.

Ah!  A spider!  And a decent-sized one, too.



I got a duster-on-a-stick from the broom closet, and had The Girl wave it about to the right of the spider.  Meanwhile, I got up on a stepstool with a plastic container from the "dirty dishes" counter, and a flattened cereal box, to catch it.

I wasn't worried about it being venomous:  as a rule of thumb, the smaller ones are the venomous ones; the larger ones don't need to be.


I took it outside and took a few snapshots:


 ...and...



And then I released it, and tried to get it to run away to safety (I've heard that large spiders and small spiders compete for territory:  so having large spiders around is actually a good thing).





Here are some photos (with rules with inches, and centimeters) for size comparisons.

 

So -- a 5" leg span?


I showed the photos to The Lady.  She reckons its a huntsman.  I believe her.


--GG

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At March 07, 2015 12:33 PM, Blogger Language Is Love said...

Spider is very gross, but it interesting that your "Rice Krispies" are called rice bubbles. Makes them sound like soap.

 
At March 07, 2015 12:33 PM, Blogger Language Is Love said...

Spider is very gross, but it interesting that your "Rice Krispies" are called rice bubbles. Makes them sound like soap.

 
At March 07, 2015 12:34 PM, Blogger Language Is Love said...

The spider is really icky, but I did find it interesting that your "Rice Krispies" is called Rice Bubbles. That sounds more like an organic soap.

 
At March 08, 2015 10:24 PM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

Yeah, I agree. For some reason they re-name some thing in AU -- like (as you noticed) "Rice Krispies.

The comedy move "Airplane" was called "Flying High" in AU -- and the Jennifer Garner movie "13 Going on 30" (2004) was called "Suddenly 30" in AU (which, I think, is a snappier title). ;)


--GG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home