Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Wood for America

Construction cousin's stepdad does woodworking -- a lot of jewelry-box-sized items.  When I was visiting the U.S. recently I told him I'd save a nice piece of wattle for him:  wattle is a local wood that has a lovely reddish-color, and isn't used commercially because it's too knotty, and the trees are too small, to get commerically-sustainable lumber out of it.

At least, that's what I figuire.


The first photo is two of the boards that I rough-prepped.  I handplaned them a bit, and sprayed them with alcohol just to show off the grain.  If you click on the photo you can get a closer look.


The second photo is of all the slabs I got from the short log.  I think it was from my brother-in-law's place (I'm actually writing this post a month later, and I don't remember offhand; but it's written on the slabs).

I'll let them season for a year or two, and bring them with me the next time I visit the U.S.


--GG

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home