Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Monday, September 23, 2013

Making a new mom laugh

At the end of each meal, my great-grandfather on my Japanese side (i.e. my maternal grand-mother's dad) used to pour a little tea onto his plate, swish it around, and drink the resulting mix.  My great-grandmother didn't like it (she thought it uncouth) -- but apparently he didn't like to waste food.

This is all hearsay:  he died before I was born, so I never met him.  But I share similar traits:  I put hot water in jam jars, put the lid on and shake it up, then drink the results.

It's kind of like spiced cider -- but berry flavored..

When I do this at work, it nauseates my Canadian co-worker.  She's off on maternity leave now, but as I rinsed out an empty jam jar at work, I thought of her.

My manager was kind enough to take the shots shown here with her camera-phone, and send them to my co-worker.  Apparently, she was amused.  :)


--GG

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At September 25, 2013 5:45 AM, Anonymous Dadbert said...

Your practice compares quite favorably with a lunchtime practice of my own.

When the co-worker sitting next to me each day would pour a small box of raisins into his hand, before he could put them into his mouth I'd say "Hey, we have rabbits, too!"

After a few days he'd just pour them into his hand and wince while awaiting my comment.

 
At September 25, 2013 5:32 PM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

Good job creating a conditioned reflex. :)

--GG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home