Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

One town is as good as another

O.k., we're back in Brisbane.

Although I still like Hobart -- and despite this charming picture of Mt. Wellington, taken from a local park this morning, before taking the airport shuttle to the airport -- my initial infatuation has cooled, and I've decided it's not imperitive that we move there, after all. In part, it's because although we could sell our existing land and buy something bigger here, the land would be less intersting: currently we have woods on the back half; the new land would just be plains, with long dry grass. Nah.

Also, it sounds like Hobart has some unemployment issues, and a smaller music scene. And things are slightly more expensive, because they have to ''import'' them from ''the mainland'' (i.e. the rest of Australia). (It's funny hearing the locals refer to ''the mainland''; it's like you're talking to Hawaiians.) Plus, it's unlikely we'd be able to convince the rest of The Lady's clan to come with: since moving to Aussie-land, they're my primary social network; if we moved down here I wouldn't know anyone (except The Lady and The Kid), and it takes me a fair while to meet [decent] new people.

Plus, even if I did convince everyone to move down here, everyone would have to leave behind their homes, which would be a nuisance (next-door brother-in-law's household had their house custom-built). And Next-Door Uncle probably wouldn't want to leave behind his custom workshop, which took eons to build.

And really, I tend to putter about the house (or the yard) -- so being in one town or another really wouldn't make much difference. I wouldn't spend much time downtown.


So, I'll stay put. ;)


--GG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home