Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Thursday, November 03, 2022

Double exposures with the black Tolne toy camera

 One of my cameras -- the black plastic Tolne "toy camera" -- has a flaw:  when I first used it, the film got stuck when advancing to the next frame:  I forced it (bad!), and thereby broke the mechanism that keeps track of how far you have to turn the knob to advance to the next frame -- and also the "safety interlock" that prevents double exposures.

I actually use this to my advantage, using this camera to do intentional double exposures.

The camera takes 35mm film -- and for this one I used some color (400 ASA) expired film.  I tried to hit it with more light than usual -- but it has very limited exposure controls, so the colors came out somewhat dull (as expected). 

 

Here's an example of the photo "as is" (i.e. as the lab scanned it):


...and then after I "punched up" the colors a bit, with one of the presets in my photo editing software:


And here's another example.  Before:


And After:


Here's some more of them (the ones that turned out better) -- after a little processing (which arguably defeats the artistic purpose of shooting on expired film):





That last one of that house isn't a double exposure:  it's just "regular".  

That house is my "muse":  I keep coming back to it, trying to get the perfect shot of it.  You'll see more pics of it.  :)


--GG

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home