Repaired a chair
It's the first weekend of a week's vacation -- and I like to spend my vacation "getting things done". Here's one of my mini-projects.
People around here sometimes leave "givaway" items along the grassy strip near the road, in front of their house. I picked this chair up a few weeks ago.
I sat on it before throwing it in the truck. Yup: comfortable. Surprisingly so.
Someone had used some sort of gummy construction adhesive to try to glue the loose slat. It hadn't really worked, so the slat was held on with a long strip of packing tape.
And the person had also glued it in the wrong direction: the curved front of the slat was towards the rear -- but the other three were towards the front.
So, first I used a chisel to get rid of most of the crummy adhesive. Then I finished up with some sandpaper, for the residual crud.
Here's my glue-up. I'm using little wooden wedges to fine-tune the side-to-side alignment of the slat -- and clamps to align the ends of the slat with its neighbors.
And, of course, clamps on either end of the slat, to hold it in place until the **decent** glue dries.
Hm! I thought I'd taken a photo of the finished product -- but I guess not.
Well... you can imagine.
Anyhow: I gained a free, sturdy, comfortable chair, for the cost of a little labor and a few squeezings of woodworking glue.