Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Sunday, December 28, 2014

Tool box and pocket knives

I got these for Christmas from The Lady -- although technically I picked them up and handed them off to her...


The toolbox is actually sold by Aldi as an "artist's box".  But I'll use it as a wooden toolbox.


Because it was unfinished wood, I wiped it with a few coats of Danish oil or tung oil.  I used to use boiled linseed oil (BLO) as a simple finish -- but now I only use BLO on tool handles, and Danish oil/tung oil is my general preference for everything else (except for things that get painted!).  My paternal grandfather tended to use Danish oil, as well.

Tung oil/Danish oil doesn't particularly protect the surface -- but I believe it at least seals up the pores, so it's less prone to staining.


Exterior -- before:




Exterior -- after:



Interior -- before:




Interior -- after:




So, it made the wood darker -- which was really my main goal.


Also, I got these two "vintage" pocket knives, which we picked up at an antique mall about a week ago.


They were a little dull, but I sharpened them up (including the corkscrew!).

There were many pocket knives at the "stall" at the antique mall -- but these two appealed to me.  Probably the color.  If you click on the photo, it will enlarge, and you can see the patterns (marbled?) better.


I haven't carried "regular" pocket knives in my "everday carry":  instead, I've had two multitools, or a multitool and a Swiss army type of knife.  But I'm going to start carrying one of these instead of the Swiss army knife.


--GG

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At August 11, 2017 3:38 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Where did u get it from

 
At August 18, 2017 7:37 PM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

I got the toolbox from Aldi. I've seen them sell it once or twice since I bought mine.

--GG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home