Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Sunday, August 17, 2014

A good Ekka

Yesterday we went to the Ekka -- basically, the "county fair":  rides, animals, carnival foods.

It drizzled all day; therefore the crowds were only about one-third of what they usually are; therefore it was the best Ekka experience I've ever had!

-Basically **no** lines at the food stalls.

-Basically **no** lines at the rides.

-Because there were no lines -- and rides seem more enticing when there are already people **doing** the rides and having fun -- the kids got extra-long turns on the rides.  (That is:  No point in shoo-ing the riders away, then having empty rides.  Bad for business.)

-We didn't have to "swim" through the crowds.  Loads of room.


Because we knew what the weather would be, we just dressed for it.  I wore double socks and gumboots:  when I putter around the yard on weekends I wear gumboots all day, so I knew I could wear them without getting blisters.  I also wore a windbreaker and a wide-brimmed hat (canvas, so it got soaked -- but it still kept the rain out of my face).  The kids wore raincoats with hoods (also jeans and sneakers -- but these got only slightly damp).  The Lady wore a water-repellent coat with a hood. 


The Ekka was as noisy as always -- maybe even noisier, since there weren't the same crowds to absorb some of the acoustic energy.  In previous years I'd remembered to bring earplugs, for the evening fireworks -- but this time I forgot.  So the noise -- particularly in the "rides" area -- was starting to get to me.

When we passed by the first aid station I asked whether they had any foam earplugs.  Luckily, they did!  So the whole rest of the day was **much** better.

At various points I sat off to the side with the bags, and read my magazine,  while The Lady took the kids to the various "Look!  Animals!" sections.


I'm not in to "seeing the animals" ("Isn't that the same pig as last year?") or the fireworks (too much noise and bright flashing lights).  I enjoy the bumper cars, though.


Anyhow, it was fine:  better than usual.  ;)


--GG

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At August 17, 2014 1:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear it was a tolerable (pleasurable?) experience GG. See you on the morrow. -RW

 

Post a Comment

<< Home