I was sitting in a McDonald's a few days ago, and realized that everything I saw around me -- the pillars, the tables, the t.v. commercial on the flat-screen t.v. -- was designed and built by someone.
It got me thinking about how you could break down jobs into a few categories. Here's what I came up with: I don't think you can break it down to any fewer categories; and I don't think I missed anything. But if you have any suggested modifications, please let me know.
- MAKING (growing, designing) -- farmers, artists, film makers, composers, cooks
- COLLECTING INFORMATION -- researchers, people who work behind a counter filling in forms, data entry operator
- WATCHING (monitoring) -- playground monitors, security workers
- REPAIRING -- plumbers, computer repair folks, doctors, counselors)
- ORGANIZING (consolidating) -- bookkeepers, managers
- SHARING (communicating of information, ideas)-- helpdesks, journalists, stand-up comedians
- EXPLAINING -- teachers, counselors
- CLEANING -- housekeepers, garbage collectors, groundskeepers
- TRANSPORTING -- busdrivers, pilots, truckers, waiters
Hmm -- need to figure out where to put entertainers (e.g. musicians), and athletes.