Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Sunday, June 03, 2012

Family vice

A few years ago (2006?) when my grandpa moved into assisted living, various family members received various belongings of his.  The family was nice enough to give me the vice that he always used.  It was installed on the front right corner of his workbench.

I've had the vice since 2007 -- shipped it to myself, from Seattle to Australia, along with a bunch of Grandpa's tools -- and wasn't quite sure how to use it.

June of 2011, I received a workbench that's about 100 years old, which my wife's great-grandfather used in his home workshop.

And on May 17th of this year, I installed my grandfather's vice on the great-grandfather's workbench.  On the front right corner.  Took me a while to determine my working habits, and where the vice would best suit my needs.

To compliment the multi-generational, ''two branches of the family vibe'', I used an offcut from the construction of our house as a spacer, to even out the underside of the workbench where the bolts pass through the top.  Wife's great-grandfather; my grandfather; me.


It's good to have it.

And a bonus:  lying on the workbench, in the photo, behind the ''sawdust brush'' is a mallet that my grandpa made.


--GG

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At June 07, 2012 11:56 PM, Anonymous Dadbert said...

Welcome to the vice squad.

 
At June 10, 2012 11:22 PM, Anonymous KansasLutheran said...

Sorry, can't resist. This is your family vice? Not smoking, drinking or abusing waterfowl? Technically, this is your family "vise" or clamping instrument. Your blog makes me smile, but not usually in that way!:-)

 
At June 16, 2012 10:53 PM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

Glad you enjoyed it! :)

Oddly, I've lived in Aussie-land enough that I've become confused over U.S. vs. Aussie/UK spellings.

"Vice" vs. "vise", "clamp" vs. "cramp", "theater" vs. "theatre".


--GG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home