Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Friday, May 20, 2011

Dreamed of the theatre

Last night I dreamed I was my approximate current age, but also back in college.

I was trying to attend school, plus work part-time at the Uptown Theatre (a movie theatre in Seattle that I used to work at), plus part-time as a busboy at a restaurant. Somehow, I had scheduled my first shift at both my jobs for 1:30pm, on the same day -- and now I was late for both of them. It was my first day on the job, and yet I was somehow also carrying both those jobs was interfering with my studying, and I knew that I'd have to let one of them go.

After some deliberation, I phoned the restaurant and quit, and went to the movie theatre. Although the staff was (obviously!) different than from twenty years ago (yikes!), they treated me as an elder statesman as I regaled them with stories of the old Uptown.


In retrospect, the movie theatre was a fun job. Spates of busy-ness -- the rush of customers before the movie started -- were followed by lulls where you clean up while chatting with co-workers. Even though I was working two jobs (about 60 hours a week) at the time, I was living away from home, in a band with my cousin, and generally having an enjoyable mid-20s kind of time.

I met a lot of good people at the movie theatre. No one I really kept in touch with (except my drummer, and we've faded away as well). But glad to have met them.


--GG

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At June 01, 2011 7:59 AM, Anonymous Danielle Moore said...

Ahhh! The Uptown! Did you know it's gone now? Closed suddenly in December. Deanna is now at the Oaktree. I hadn't checked in on you for a million months. Funny the timing. Hope all is well!

 
At June 09, 2011 9:58 PM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

Heh! Funny timing, indeed. :)

Yeah - my dad sent me a newspaper clipping about it. A bit sad -- but not surprising, either (parking was always a pain...).

I'll have to go say "Hi" at the Oaktree and see if she remembers me.

Random: Aussie band that may (or may not) be to your liking. Sounds a bit AC/DC.

http://www.myspace.com/airbourne


--GG

 
At June 17, 2011 8:44 AM, Anonymous Danielle Moore said...

Even weirder timing.... As I was reading your comment I got notification of an email. It was Chris Hamaker wants to be friends on Facebook. Do you remember him? Also a very early in my Uptown career coworker. He was a boxer kid. He and I went to a handful of music events too. The Village People at the RockCandy for one. :o) Very weird, the timing...
I will check out the link. Thanks!!

 
At June 18, 2011 10:35 PM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

Nope - name rings no bells -- sorry.


--GG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home