Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Friday, October 26, 2007

Dave and Dolly

It's good to have life-goals. Probably my top two are (1) to appear on the David Letterman show, and (2) to co-write, and co-record, a song with Dolly Parton.

Regarding #1: I'd be o.k. with being on Letterman because of my fame or worthy thing I did (e.g. as a notable Criminologist); or as the guest band; or through some sort of ''Stupid Human Trick'' (I have one or two in the works, but I'm not yet sufficiently practiced to send in an audition tape).

Regarding #2: Yeah, it's not hip or cool to be into Country music, and esp. not Dolly Parton (as opposed to, I suppose, The Dixie Chicks). But relative to Country music as a whole, she writes an astoundingly high proportion of her own songs (which I respect and admire); and her songs are both catchy and have good lyrics. She also seems like a genuinely nice person: she donates a ton of money to charities, and is pretty humble and good-natured and able to laugh at herself.

(A while back I Googled her, and found a number of interviews. One of them notes that she never had any children -- not through any birth control measures, but it just didn't happen, she said. She then says that she takes it as a good thing, because if she did have her own children she'd probably be selfish and channel all her money into giving them a better life. As it is, all children are her children, so she tries to look out for them all.)


WIFMD (When I Finish My Dissertation), it'd be tempting to send her a demo tape with a few of my songs, and ask her if she'd like to collaborate. But I don't know to make it past her ''gatekeepers'' that I would presume answer her mail and keep out the crackpots. And putting in my cover letter, "I'm not a crackpot! Really!!!" probably wouldn't work.

Something to deal with another day... :)


--GG

4 Comments:

At October 27, 2007 5:22 AM, Blogger slag said...

www.getmeonletterman.com should be a blog and you should have people vote in the comments whether they think you should be on Lettermen.

 
At October 27, 2007 11:50 PM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

Not a bad idea -- although I probably wouldn't have time to maintain a separate blog. More likely that I'd just link to my main blog... :)


--GG

 
At October 30, 2007 9:36 PM, Blogger Charlotte said...

Holy carp! Dolly is the *best.* I love her soooo much. If you do collaborate with her, may I play uke on one song?

 
At October 30, 2007 9:49 PM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

C,


Totally. :)

I may've said this in my blog, she seems to be a good songwriter AND a good singer, AND a nice person. (Rather than a bag-o'-ego...) A spiffy combination.

If you have any D.J.-related tips (or contacts) on how to get demo tapes to her. please let me know. :)

--GG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home