Gye Greene's Thoughts

Gye Greene's Thoughts (w/ apologies to The Smithereens and their similarly-titled album!)

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Time is My Nemesis

"Nemesis" is bigger than "enemy" -- right? :)

Well, major triage time. I need to send of whatever I have to my committee on Friday night, such that they receive it early Friday morning, Washington State time. Which means I have to cut some stuff -- or leave it for later -- just to get the bulk of it out the door. Stinker. But, them's the breaks.

For those who know this social science research stuff: I think I've managed to run all my analyses today. Will probably take me the rest of the afternoon and into the early evening (judging by performance last night!) to make rough (i.e. functional, but non-pretty) tables of the results. More than sixty independent variables (!!!) -- that's what slows down the formatting -- runs across several pages. Pleasantly surprised that my regressions converged (maximum-liklihood, negative binomial).

Hopefully tonight (Weds.) can write up most or all of the results. Will probably slop over into Thurs. Then, need to turn back to the theory chapter, plus the front-end of the analysis chapters. Hopefully done by Friday morn. Some vague stab at discussion/conclusion sections and chapters Friday afternoon; no time for the lit. review and adding citations (have a pile of photocopied articles to incorporate, but...). Then, kick it out the door.

Unfortunately, I'll still be doing catch-up work for the week after. Which also stinks. Ah well.


Working home home tomorrow (Thurs). Tall Guy and Ralphie will be happy to see me, at least. ;)


Hopefully ducking out early today (before 3pm?) to avoid the traffic. The big "State of Origin" game is playing tonight at the stadium between us and the freeway.


Also: both "Time is My Enemy" and "Time is My Nemesis" would be really good album and/or band names (e.g. "Toad the Wet Sprocket"). I slightly prefer the second one: "nemesis" has a stronger, darker feel.

Feel free to vote in the "comments" section. ;)


--GG

1 Comments:

At May 26, 2005 9:59 PM, Blogger K. said...

Well, you know what they say:

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Think about it...

Good luck finishing up your dissertation. I feel for ya man...I've never done a Ph.D but I had a similar flash of insight while writing my master's thesis, which forced a major re-write. You couldn't pay me enough money to go through that again.

-K.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home